Having trouble viewing our FAQs? Click here for an alternate view.
- What is project44?
project44 provides the industry’s only end-to-end solution that connects all modes of transportation across the entire shipment lifecycle. By digitizing your entire transportation network and supply chain, get access to the right information, at the right time – creating a smarter shipping experience. Just like Amazon.
- Where did project44 get its name?
Route 66 was constructed in 1926. The highway originally started right next to the project44 headquarters and made its way to Santa Monica.
30 years later, transportation had evolved. Engines advanced and infrastructure expanded as population numbers multiplied and consumerism grew. Legacy highway systems that once connected the US could not support the new ways of doing things.
In 1953, the first major bypass of US 66 was constructed. It was called Highway 44. In an industry long resistant to change, project44 has created a major technology shift by using a completely different and more efficient approach to connecting carriers with those purchasing freight.
Just in case you’re wondering…we’re also known as p44, project 44 and p-44.
- Are you hiring?
- What transportation modes and geographies do you work in?
project44 is driving new levels of visibility throughout the entire supply chain – across multiple modes of transportation and geographies. More specifically, we currently provide solutions for LTL, Volume LTL, Full Truckload, and rail, with plans to quickly build out our quote-to-invoice automation platform in additional modes in the near future. The geographies we currently service include all of the U.S., and parts of Canada and Mexico. See our automation platform in action.
- What makes project44’s automation solutions unique?
project44 uses a completely different and more efficient approach to connecting carriers and their trading partners than other vendors. In doing so, we are the only vendor to automate and provide visibility into the entire full shipment lifecycle across multiple modes of transportation including LTL, Volume LTL, Truckload, and Rail.
When you dig into it, project44 uses API-based modern connectivity to replace more outdated mechanisms like EDI and/or SMC3 rate bureaus, FTP, spreadsheets, website scraping, and manual process (phone, email, fax).
- What does quote-to-invoice mean?
Quote-to-invoice describes the full shipment life cycle, starting with receiving a rate quote, and ending with receiving an invoice for services rendered. project44’s automation solutions optimize the entire process from quote-to-invoice, including load tender, dispatch, visibility, and more. Learn more about the benefits of quote-to-invoice in this infographic.
- How are your visibility solutions different from other vendors in the market?
Many logistics technology providers claim to offer a supply chain visibility solution, but in reality, it’s mostly just marketing without much substance behind it.
- project44 will not compromise the quality of data you receive by integrating with inferior sources like EDI or excel uploads.
- project44 also normalizes and enriches all carrier data so it’s easier for customers to understand and derive insights
- Other vendors tend to have low adoption rates with their carrier base. project44 incentivizes capacity providers with a three pronged approach of obtaining Geo-Location Data from carriers, including the only US ELD industry aggregator. This ensures full coverage possibilities across all domestic carriers of any size.
- project44 provides a one-to-many connection, which means once you’re integrated, you’re connected to the entire network of capacity providers. This is also a single integration point for all modes of transportation, not just truckload.
- Our multimodal visibility solutions drive significant supply-chain impact for our customers with complex event and exception management capabilities and ETAs based on true truck-driving directions, customizable ping scheduling and advanced geo-fencing algorithms.
- What are APIs?
Application Programming Interfaces, or APIs, are modern, internet-based connectivity methods used for communication between various software systems. They simplify the development of programs by providing all of the foundational information a programmer needs. project44’s APIs are used to connect the different parts of the supply chain, providing information to 3PLs, carriers, and shippers throughout the entire shipment life cycle. They work synchronously, so data is transferred in a more orderly fashion, providing accurate, real-time data. APIs have already revolutionized many industries.
- How are APIs different from EDI?
Application Programming Interface (API) and Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) are both used to transfer data, however they’re actually very different. EDI is a form of legacy technology that was originally developed in the 1940s. API is a much more modern technology, that has played a significant role in disrupting and optimizing a multitude of industries. APIs are capable of transmitting real-time supply chain data, while EDI experiences high latency. APIs normalize data sets so that they can be communicated to any source, while EDI can only transmit the data as it receives it, causing numerous issues with data transfer. APIs are also more flexible, and much faster and inexpensive to set up.
Here are some of the differences of APIs and EDI used for logistics and transportation:
- Cost – EDI is expensive to implement, and requires a separate cost per EDI (204, 210, 214, etc.). There is more maintenance involved as well. Many companies employ full time IT personnel strictly for EDI, while others lose valuable IT man hours to EDI related tasks.
- Integration Complexity – EDI takes 3-6 months to set up, and need to be integrated individually, while APIs can be integrated to an entire network in minutes.
- Communication – Communication within your supply chain relies on consistent EDI mapping throughout. If one segment changes their mapping, communication goes down.
- Can’t I just build my own APIs?
The question of build vs. buy is on the minds of many companies as the logistics industry progresses through this technology revolution. Most companies already have a capable IT department, so they think they can save money by developing APIs in-house. While that might be true, partnering with a third-party vendor is a more comprehensive and effective solution.
project44’s APIs already integrate with a large Capacity Provider Network. Trying to configure your own APIs to integrate with the same carriers requires months of work, which we’ve already done for you. That means you integrate with us one time, and have access to the entire network of providers.
- There are a lot of tech vendors in the market. How do I know who is best-in-class?
There are several ways to determine if a technology vendor is providing best-in-class APIs, but it boils down to how thorough they are.
project44’s API Technology Assessment for carriers is our way of ensuring that our APIs are best-in-class. While many technology vendors accept any API without performance standards and reliability, we put steps in place to monitor API performance, and we check that performance against our competitors.
We keep a proactive relationship with our carriers, and dedicate an entire team to carrier integration, so that we can ensure that, not only our APIs, but the carrier APIs we connect to are best-in-class .
Our APIs are also restful, which means they’re built on the best framework for performance and scalability.
- How do I know my data is secure?
Security is a core part of project44’s mission. We manage information security with a best-in-class security framework, so you have the confidence to share data via the cloud. For example, we leverage Amazon Web Services’ (AWS) trusted security platform and features. project44 encrypts all data and credentials in-ﬂight and at rest. We use a private management subnet, VPNs, and multifactor authentication. Our team also runs regular code scans to check for vulnerabilities and compliance.
API security is both critical and complex. Trust is critical for cloud companies, particularly those that provide foundational infrastructure for your supply chain. project44 is committed to fostering trust and has an ongoing commitment to safeguarding your data. We encourage you to reach out and ask questions!
- What does project44 cost?
Technology should help businesses become more efficient, and should be accessible and affordable for everyone who needs it, regardless of size. Our pricing structure reflects this philosophy. We are based on a monthly subscription model that is dependent on your unique volume of freight transactions. Contact one of our reps today to walk through a pricing model unique to your transportation needs.
- Do you offer free trials or demos?
We believe the best way to fully understand the benefits of automation, real-time visibility, and our APIs is to see it all in action. That’s why we offer free demos. To schedule a demo, go here.